Alabama Avenue Clean Team
Congress Heights Community Training & Development Corporation (CHCTDC) has been funded since 2017 by the Dept. of Small and Local Business Development (DSLBD) to manage and operate the Alabama Ave, SE commercial corridor clean team. The clean team’s main purpose is to implement commercial corridor litter clean up, recycling and other additional clean team services.
The Alabama Ave, SE Clean Team provides targeted maintenance of the public space, specifically cleaner streets, sidewalks, and storefronts to help attract more pedestrians and customers to the commercial corridors. The compounding effects of the Alabama Ave, SE clean team serves the following benefits:
- Improve the appearance of the commercial district to help increase foot traffic and consequently the opportunity for increased customer sales;
- Reduce litter, graffiti, and posters to lessen the perception of an unsafe commercial area;
- Maintain an attractive tree canopy including landscaping along the corridor;
- Support Sustainable DC goals by recycling, mulching street trees, using eco-friendly supplies, and reducing stormwater pollution generated by DC’s commercial districts; and,
- Provide jobs for DC residents.
Alabama Ave, SE Clean Team scope of work covers the following areas:
- Good Hope Road, SE from 25th Street, SE to Alabama Ave, SE;
- Alabama Ave, SE from Naylor Road, SE to 30th Street, SE;
- Alabama Ave, SE from 23rd Street, SE to Stanton Terrace, SE (East Side);
- Alabama Ave, SE from Stanton Road, SE to 15th Place, SE.
The Alabama Ave, SE clean team comprises of three (3) DC resident employees, two (2) full-time and one (1) Part-time; the team works seven (7) days a week except holidays and covers over .87 linear miles in size which encompasses 143 trees and 24 trash cans per OCTO/GIS data. (For detailed clean team services click here.)